Licensed Practical Nurse – ON CALL
The on call LPN would triage’s after-hours and weekend patient needs by phone and makes patient visits as needed, to ensure the provision of high quality palliative nursing services which meet or exceed Medicare regulatory requirements in collaboration with other interdisciplinary clinical staff as outlined in the patient’s plan of care.
I. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Triages after-hours and weekend phone calls
2. Provides phone support for symptom management as needed
3. Makes patient visits as needed
4. Helps coordinate weekend and after-hours admissions in collaboration with the after-hours admission RN.
5. Initiates and updates the plans of care for hospice patients in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
6. Communicates effectively with the interdisciplinary team regarding changes in the patients’ condition and plan of care
7. Documents all phone calls, teaching, patient assessments, and interventions with quantitative data.
8. Provides patient, caregiver, and family teaching towards the goals of care
9. Takes professional responsibility for following policies and procedures and current Medicare regulations
10. Participates in the implementation of QAPI and Infection Control projects and initiatives
11. Participates and encourages an environment of ongoing learning and commitment to excellence in patient care
12. Other duties as assigned by the Patient Care Administrator, Director of Nursing, or Patient Care Coordinator
II. BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:
a. Demonstrated excellence in a health care field.
b. Preferred (not required) minimum one year of experience managing complex cases within a multidisciplinary team in a long term care facility, home health or hospice palliative care organization.
a. LPN Degree from an accredited school.
b. High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
3. License, Certification, Registration
a. Current unencumbered Oregon LPN license required.
c. Valid driver’s license with active auto insurance.
d. Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required upon hire.
4. Additional Requirements:
a. Working knowledge of nurse practice laws.
b. Demonstrated ability to foster effective working relationships between diverse groups and individuals.
c. Well-developed problem solving and critical thinking skills with clinical and organizational relevance.
d. Ability to operate computerized clinical documentation systems including use of a laptop computer.
e. Ability to use Microsoft Office products (Excel, word, PowerPoint) and proficient keyboarding skills
f. Well-developed organization and time management skills.
g. Must provide dependable automobile transportation with insurance and have record of using safe driving practices.
Competitive salary-based compensation package depending on experience. All interested parties strongly encouraged to apply. Position available immediately and will be open until filled.
III. JOB CONDITIONS
Job requires the ability to:
- Access patients’ homes and all rooms therein
- Drive a car
- Communicate effectively with patient/families both verbally and written
- Current TB test, driver’s license, auto insurance and a dependable means of transportation required.
- Functions with proficiency using Consolo software.
- Must be able to safely lift/transfer a maximum of 50 lbs., required use of a 2-person assist with any awkwardly shaped or heavier person or object.
- Must be able to safely negotiate in a variety of environments, e.g. steep stairs, uneven surfaces, cramped physical quarters, etc.
- Ability to drive in a variety of road and weather conditions, day or night, adhering to all safety standards, seat belts and no use of cell phones.
IV. ORIENTATION and Training
Comfort Hospice and Palliative Care will provide orientation and training, as necessary, to assist the Licensed Practical Nurse in performing the responsibilities listed above. Training’s may be in-house or outside seminars. Evidence of orientation and training will become part of the personnel file.
V. ON Call
The Licensed Practical Nurse will take call according to scheduling. During the hours when on call, the Licensed Practical Nurse is required to follow the Comfort Hospice and Palliative Care On Call Protocol and to all pages within 20 minutes. The LPN will have a designated RN as back up at all times. The back up RN is to be notified of changes in patient conditions requiring changes in interventions and/or death.
LPNs will work under the direct supervision of the Patient Care Coordinator, or RN designee, at all times. Reports directly to the PCC, or RN designee, as appropriate per site protocol.
This position description describes the general nature and level of duties and responsibilities required of persons assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.